Teachers use two kinds of tools for assessing students’ work on Knowledge Forum, the Analytic Toolkit, and applets that are integrated with Knowledge Forum.
The Analytic Toolkit (ATK)
- This is an online tool available at http://analysis.ikit.org; it helps teachers to generate various types of participation scores for students.
- The ATK provides various quantitative measures to analyse students’ performance on KF, including: the numbers of notes created and read; the number of notes with scaffolds or keywords; and who has read or responded to the notes written by each student (interactional data). Sample data outputs are shown below.
- Applets are Java applications that are available from Knowledge Forum rather than a separate website
- They provide similar information than the ATK (although fewer variables are available), but present the information visually.
- Two most frequently used tools are ‘Contribution’ and ‘Social network’
- The “Vocabulary Growth” applet is useful for assessing growth in the use of a particular vocabulary that students are expected to learn